Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:36:05 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        jason@r33h77.res.gatech.edu (Jason Bennett)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Terminal problems

Jason Bennett writes:
> 	Here's what I'd like to have: 50-line mode with standard,
> supported keys that I can telnet with to another server.

1) take your termcap with you. :-) I've found that this works best.
   Snip the cons25 entry from /usr/share/misc/termcap and use it
   on the remote host, if possible. Sometimes you can set the
   $TERMCAP environment variable to your own custom file to achieve
   this, but other times you need to ask the system administrator
   to install it for you, and/or merge it into their termcap or
   terminfo database.

   Failing that, you could try setting your remote TERM variable to
   "scoansi" or "bsdos". Results may vary, but scoansi if present
   usually works, even if reverse video sometimes doesn't. At least
   the keys will usually be right.

   If you're not using syscons, then there are various working pcvt
   emulations out there in termcap/terminfo land; some of them work
   well, others don't.

2) With screensize, there's a couple of things you need to do. Getting
   50 lines out of FreeBSD is easy enough; load an 8x8 font in /etc/rc
   via /etc/sysconfig (see the comments there) and use vidcontrol to
   change the text mode. Or do both with vidcontrol.

   Assuming you've gotten that to work, then there's a secondary
   problem unless you're running a very recent version of -current.
   The "window size" is not correctly maintained across logins for
   virtual terminals, so when you rlogin/telnet elsewhere, rows and
   columns is also set to 0 on the remote system. You can correct
   that there using "stty rows 50 columns 80", or do that locally
   first before using rlogin/telnet. Of course, you need to be in
   50 line text mode first. :)

> Part2: I'm running X in 800x600x16 mode (that's what it claims),
> but the monitor is in 640x480, and I have to use the mouse to
> scroll the screen. Will this go away with fvwm, or is it a video
> driver thing (which will change with 3.2)?

Can you recycle through video modes using Ctrl-Alt-Grey+ ? I suspect
you've installed all of the video modes, but left 640x480 as the
first default mode. xf86config allows you to change the order, and
if you select whatever you wish to use first, it'll come up in that
mode by default.

Panning is also an xfree86 setup option. In your /etc/XF86Config,
there'll be a ``Section "Screen"'' (probably several). Look for the
one you're using, and note what the statement "Virtual" within it
states. This provides the *virtual* size of the X display - if it
is larger than the resolution, then you have panning. You can
disable it by adjusting the Virtual size to the same size as the
resolution if you don't like it. Actually, it is a little disconcerting
at first, but it isn't hard to get used to - the extra desktop
real-estate comes in very handy at low resolutions.

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn