Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:46:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: expect build failure

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > >  * Have a look through the config.status file and see what values it's pick
>     ed
> > >  * up for TCL_LIB_SPEC, TCL_BUILD_LIB_SPEC etc.  Hmm, no, that would be in
> > >  * the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh files.  Hmm...  The tkConfig.sh file
> > >  * hasn't been overwritten by any chance, has it?
> > >
> > > Ding!  It looks like the itcl port overwrote it.  I re-installed
> > > tk-4.1 and the expect port build fine.
> > >
> > > Chuck, seems like yet another thing we need to teach the itcl
> > > port.... :(
> >
> > I thought I'd taken that particular piece of evil out before, maybe not.
> > I'll check again.  I downloaded the beta.tar.gz from (something).nist.gov
> > and found it unpacked into expect-5.20 (I was trying to help).  Where'd
> > you get the 5.21 sources from?
>
> The ftp.cme.nist.gov site where we used to fetch the distfile from only
> seems to have older stuff on it now. :-(  The primary dist point now is
> from http://expect.nist.gov, but there is a huge long pathname for an
> alternative ftp pathname if needed.
>
> Yeah, I did an update based on beta 5 (?) some months ago and forgot about
> it.  I was about to commit it when I thught I'd better check the http page
> first, just in case.  I'm glad I did, because I'd have missed the 5.21
> release from a few weeks back.

Oh, I see.  Until recently, anything named "expect.tar.gz" was an oldie.
The moved 5.21 into expect.tar.gz, without making any kind of announcment,
or any indication whatsoever on the web page.  I'd seen this page before,
but passed it up, thinking they'd marked it sanely.

OK, I've got it now.  Where's the port of expect?  I will go and
DEFINITELY clean out itcl this weekend, and I want to prove it with the
new port (unless you're going to commit it quickly, then I'll get it from
cvs, thanks).

I've just got past 2 more exams, I have time for 15 quick breaths.  I've
gotta do something in a functional language for a class (I really don't
care for functional languages!)  It was probably a mistake to go for 2
degrees, I see that now.

> > > Satoshi
>
> Cheers,
> -Peter