Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 04:20:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        marck@pluscom.cronyx.ru
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (fwd) ccd Q

By the way, "freebsd-fs" is not an appropriate place to ask such
questions.  ccd is a device driver that implements a virtual disk, and
not a filesystem.

 * 1. is there any [dis]advantage of using different size disks to be joined
 * together as a ccd?

I don't think the size matters that much, but different speed (MB/s)
seems to screw up the performance real badly.

 * 2. is using IDE disks for ccd good or bad idea?

Never tried it.

 * More precisely: I've got some disks, IDE and SCSI, different sizes,
 * more or less useful as standalone.
 * I plan to test ccd for our newsserver with minimal expences.
 * What should I do?

If you just want to test, as in see if it works, experience with the
commands and setup, that's ok of course.  If you want to do any
serious performance measurements/tuning, you can only do that with the
exact set of disks you are going to use for the news server.

Satoshi