Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 20:14:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        Jay Johnson <nsx@allinet.com>
Cc:        Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Dave Andersen wrote:

> > probably get freebsd and try it out on another server before taking down
> > our irc server.  I have heard that FreeBSD is alot more powerful than Linux
> > anyway. How does it compare to BSDI or SCO Unix? Anyway any information
> > about this would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
>
>    Can't help too much there.  Sorry. :)  We're an all-FreeBSD shop now
> that we've migrated our machines from Linux.  Best move we ever made. :)

The biggest difference between the two seems to be about US$1000.<G>

I work for a small BSDI based ISP.  I've got FreeBSD on one of my
workstations.  After seeing the two of them side by side for the past
several months the decision has been made that our future unix boxes will
be FreeBSD, and when upgrade time comes for the BSDI boxes they will
be converted to FreeBSD.

BSDI has, IMO, a better adduser/rmuser script, 16 character user
names {PLEASE, let's not start beating on that horse carcass again.}
and, .... hmmm that's all I can think of.

FreeBSD supports more hardware, support for SMP is available, the ports
and packages collections make adding apps a no brainer, better support,
responsive developers, SKIP support, dozens of other things I can think of
right now, and more fun overall.  I compiled ncurses-1.9.9e on both
FreeBSD and BSDI.  The included test program fireworks displays in color
on FreeBSD, the sysadmin is pouting 'cause it's monochrome on his BSDI
box.  :)

Jack

p.s. I almost forgot, BSDI's web site is really boring compared to
ours.<BG>

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD