Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 00:11:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj size

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >	On the topic of hard disks, what are the minimum requirements to
> >run a FreeBSD machine as a news server with a full news feed in terms of
> >CPU, memory, HD Storage and does it have to be on several HD instead of
> >multiple large capacity drives such as 9 gig drives?
>
> You'd serve yourself well to peruse http://www.freebsd.org/ and look
> for the newsgroup archives.  Joe Greco, and others, have posted much
> invaluable information about running large news servers.  My guess is
> that you'd want to start with the isp list, then maybe hackers and/or
> stable.  Look specifically for posts from Joe Greco, as he has been
> the most vocal on this topic, lately.

	I'll take a look at the newsgroup archives first and see since
everyone has been giving me different answers of what the minimum is.

> To get you started, he recommends many smaller drives, probably 2GB
> each, striped with ccd, across multiple SCSI controllers, if possible.
> NCR/Symbios 53c8xx cards or Adaptec 2940/3940 cards would work best
> (until the BusLogic driver gets tagged-command-queuing, at which time
> it theoretically should be as good as the other two).

	Hmmm, would 4 GB drives work as well in this area and do I need to
get 7200rpm drives or would 5400rpm do well?  The machine will already
have a Seagate Elite 9 ST410800W 9.1 gig Fast Wide SCSI-2 HD with the
Adaptec 2940UW controller to start with.

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin