Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 1996 11:00:03 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: COFF->BSD converter

"Serge A. Babkin" writes:

>Hm, I don't know. Is objcopy another thing from binutils ?

Yea, I think Mike Smith, mentioned something like

./configure --host=freebsd --target=freebsd,sco,...

>> What compat libraries and headers do you need?  Is the stuff from linux'
>> ibcs2 any help?
>
>The following things can be included in a converted executable file:
>
>1. SCO ojbect files. Need: to be converted to BSD format (done).
>
>2. SCO source files. They are often used as a kind of tuning. Need: to be
>
>3. Compatibility libraries. They are supposed to be written in BSD
>
>4. BSD object files. If they want to use the functions that are
>
>Perhaps the iBSC2 support can't help here (except for adding some
>kernel features).

Unless I'm mistaken the linux ibcs2 stuff may help in 3.  I was
under the impression that they were distributing and/or able
to build SCO shared libraries for libc/curses/..., possibly just
a wrapper to their own shared libs.  can anyone verify or dispell
this?

>> because the free SCO is ELF :(
>
>It has binary files in ELF but libraries are both for ELF and COFF.

Ok, guess I didn't look close enough.

>> Is anyone working on ELF support for SCO?
>
>I'm wondering this too. :-)

I'd be real suprised to see SOS jump on this one.
Nor can I blame him for not doing so.  Since we replaced
his ibcs2 with NetBSD's and they seem to have SVR4 ELF compat,
that's probably the place to start.

>-SB

eric.
--