Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 10:44:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blt2.1

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Understand that itcl doesn't sit beside tcl, it replaces it.
>
> I have no problem with that.  In fact I have no intention to engage in
> a debate on what itcl is supposed to/not supposed to do, that's not my
> expertise.
>
> The only concern I have is consistency between packages.  Say, if the
> BLT port is going to find itcl and link against it if it's found, then
> we need to add a dependency for it, or the user might end up with a
> package that doesn't work because of missing package dependencies.
>
> Maybe we are nearing the end of our package scheme, it's just not
> capable of handling situations like this.  But that's why I'm very
> sensitive about ports that want to auto-detect and use every utensil
> in the kitchen they can find, because our build machine tends to have
> the whole three-story toolshop which the user's machine almost
> certainly does not.

Yeah, I understand.  You have a choice of either limiting the port, or the
package.  It would be nice to a choice for package users, but I just don't
see it being all that practical.  My personal choice is to limit the
capabilities of the package users, because that at least serves the least
common denominator, and I think that those who bother to do their own
compiling deserve more functionality.

I could, with some trouble, arrange for the configure script to be
schizophrenic about things, but the trouble is that during the configure
phase of building, you don't normally know that your end target is a
package (it's possible to make a package either just after doing an
install, or from a cleaned port with no workdir).  If there was a way to
require generated packages to have their own specially built sources to
work from, then I could safely condition the configure scripts.

Most people don't build packages, do they?  I mean, we could alter the
road from cleaned to to delivered package, without inconveniencing most
folks, right?

If packages could be forced to build from targets that were specially
conditioned for packages, then the port builder could enforce conditions
on the package, and we could have a written policy on what kind of
functionality to be allowed for packages.

Comment?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |