Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:10:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:

> thinking can be a bad thing for some..

Especially Dennis ;-)  So he doesn't bother.

> >> the riscomm design is about the same age.....so whats your point? We
> >
> >RISCOM/N2 REV D -- February 1996.
>
> the boards were designed in the early 90's, thinking man, they just keep
> finding bugs......we're on Rev A because we did it right the first time! We
> also know that the board itself is only a small part of the big picture...the
> software is much more important to stability and value added functionality.

Dennis, your software was not stable.  It was very unreliable.  Certain
features just did not work.

> >No.  We manufacture boards on occasion.  We are aware that there have
> >been many advances in the last four years.  Perhaps you aren't.
>
> The only "advances" with the Riscomm is that is used to not work very well,
> and now it is better. Get yourself a Rev A N2 board and see what an abortion
> it was.........

We have quite a few N2Ds.  The new designs are clearly better.  For
one thing, they now use daughterboards with positive retention.  They
still only occupy one slot.  Their documentation has been substantially
improved.  Their software is quite stable.

> >We had support problems because the cards did not work when used as
> >specified in the manual, because compression didn't compress, because
> >use of the cards caused system panics, and because calls to your company
> >for support resulted in just the sort of bad-tempered response we are
> >seeing right now.
>
> I told you you couldnt compress BSD ping packets with our algorithm, and
> that the

You didn't listen to what we were saying.  We told you that we had
bought the boards for evaluation and that we would buy a lot more if
the evaluation was successful.  We did not select the ET cards because
(a) the hardware design was poor (the bowed daughterboards, the short
connectors, the use of two slots), (b) the documentation did not match
the product, (c) the software was unreliable, (d) the attitude at
"support" was amazing, and (e) compression didn't work.

We did comparative checks by moving large data files across 64K lines
between two cities in the UK.  One of the lines was handled by a pair
of ACC Niles.  The Niles achieved roughly 50% compression: with
compression on, the files were transferred in half the time.  The ET
cards achieved perhaps 8-10% compression: the files were transferred
in 90-92% of the time.

Compression was not the major factor in the decision.  The N2d software
doesn't compress either -- but SDL don't claim to have working
compression.  You did.  And after we bought three boards we were told
that compression is a "feature", which in your version of English
appears to me that it doesn't have to work as described.

> compression couldnt compete with specialized compression routers. Compression
> is a "feature". You also refused to send me your config files and that

We did not refuse to send anything.

> you didn't have the thing configured correctly (ala the panics). You never did
> what I asked you to do...I can't help those that dont want it. Other
> not-so-thinking
> people did fine with the manuals provided

We did fairly extensive checking.  When you occasionally stopped
ranting at us and sent coherent instructions we followed them.

At the time we were evaluating alternatives.  The bottom line is that
we did not choose to buy any further ET products because the ET cards
came in third in our evaluation.   Your attitude did not help, of
course.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015