Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:59:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:

> >Also, for our customers we're happy with the Ascend Pipeline 130
> >with built in CSU.  You can get one for less than $1200 it does
> >Frame and even has an ISDN line for backup. These units
> >are the same size of a Pipeline 50 -- not much bigger than most
> >modems. Is a Freebsd box with a T1 card and a CSU any cheaper?
>
> This is the same non-thinking argument that has been used for

You sure have a way with words.

> a long time, and it makes no sense bacause you are not comparing
> apples to apples. You still need a server with a standalone router,
> so you have 2 points of failure instead of 1 (with an internal card).

It makes perfect sense to me.
1. I have a client that has a network they want to hook up to us, they
want to set their mail and web server on an NT, Sun, Mac or whatever
OS.am I going to tell them that they shouldn't do that that they
should use the FreeBSD router that they get from us as their server?
No, I don't.

2. If a disk fails on the web server, client machines can still
go to the net. If the router's disk fails all Net services
are dead in the water.

Now note that I'm not completly opposed to using FreeBsd as a router.
As I pointed earlier, between a FreeBSD box and a Cisco I'm
beginning to favor the FreeBSD box because of the ease of finding
replacement parts. But for our clients I still feel that the
P130 is a nice inexpensive solution.

> This subject annoyed us enough that we put up a FAQ of
> routers vs sync cards at:
>
> http://www.etinc.com/routers.htm
>
> no doubt somewhat biased, but entertaining nonetheless!
>
> Dennis

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com