Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:51:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer), freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interest in large collection of Lisp/Scheme implementations?

Christoph Kukulies writes:
> > - Is there some interest to have such a wide collection of
> >   Lisp-related packages on FreeBSD or do you think is a rather
> >   pointless or would you fear FreeBSD could be seen as some kind of
> >   "new Lisp machine"?

> You're thinking of the rise and fall Symbolics, right? ;-)

Well, I'm afraid we have to wait until Emacs is based on Guile instead
of elisp. The reel feeling needs an Editor and an environment hosted in
the same live world. Stallman pushes this step, so there is hope.

But, in fact, right now I sit in front of a photocopy of one of these
fancy keyboards with 'Windows 95' keys, scratching the ugly MS logos
from it and labeling keys 'meta', 'super', 'hyper', 'symbol',
'select', painting circles and quares and do a xmodmop to make the
useless caps lock above the left shift a backwards delete key :-)

[followups on this paragraph are better directed to -chat]

[...]
> I would like to see such a collection. When you cover 20 implementations
> I'm sure my favourite LISP, namely XLISP (XSCHEME) will be included.

I planned to do so for Common Lisp and Scheme. In fact, I don't eally
like xlisp because it caused it lot of code to be written that is not
useable on other implementations and xlisp is to a good part
responsible for the myth that Lisp has to be slow.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer