Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:42:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, committers@freebsd.org, root@freebsd.org, postmaster@freebsd.org, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Too much cruft

> Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I second this. I tried to save a full distribution on a cdrom, and I
> > couldnt because all the out-of-date files in distfiles overflowed the
> > available space by far.
>
> I'm working on a tool that should automate the process for this, but
> bear in mind that there are lots of out-of-date port skeletons
> out there that will go to ftp.freebsd.org in desperation once
> they can't find the right distfile anywhere else.

not necessarily if, as someone proposed, the distfiles are stored
in different directories depending on the release. i.e, distfiles
contains _all_ the files, distfiles.2.1.6 contains links to the
files in "distfiles" relevant to 2.1.6, and so on

Perhaps some good solution is required to avoid transferring everything
when there is a version change.

> This will make it easier for you to keep your own collections
> up-to-date though.  I should have something usable by the end of
> the week.

	Luigi