Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:10:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

> Look I know where you are coming from is just that mpeg streams at
> 112kb does not compare with RA's 28.8 streams. If we are going to

Nor should they, but we can compare Xing's 28.8 streams to RA's 28.8 streams.

> compare high speed codecs we shall look into Dolby AC3 and have
> CD quality plus if you want to you can decode surround sound.

AC3 isnt all that special, its 384kbps (128kbps per left-right channel, or the
same as MPEG audio).  AC3 doesnt (or didnt unless its very recent) have any
provisions for variable encoding/decoding rates.  I'd prefer DTS in this case,
much higher quality, 20bit audio, 1.544Mbps bandwidth.  But that lands us in
the area of local delivery for theatre systems such as laserdisc.

> Write an RTPV2 based tool to transmit mpeg audio files

Its called Xing Streamworks :)

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich