Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:18:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        FreeBSD-gnats@freefall.freebsd.org, jlemon@americantv.com, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/2190: need cross-reference to xpdf from X11 ports tree

 *    On the ports web page, xpdf is listed under graphics, but not under
 * X11.  I looked under X11 first, and not finding it, assumed that it wasn't
 * ported to FreeBSD.  Shouldn't there be a crossreference here somewhere?

The "x11" category is not intended for X applications (otherwise half
the ports tree would be there), but for utilities for the X Window
System itself, such as font editors, window managers, widget sets,
etc.  (Or "the" X Window System itself, as in the case of x11/XFree86 :)

It is recommended to consult the "list of all ports" if you are in
doubt, categories are sometimes unclear in this respect.

However, it is also clear that the ports that you find in the current
"x11" category gives you the false impression that it includes
everything that uses X.

Hmm.  Let me think about this.  Maybe we can split up the X category
(the one in the CATEGORIES line, not the subdirectory) "x11-apps",
"x11-base", "x11-wm", "x11-term", "x11-widgets", etc.

There also should be a way to add a short "comment" field to the
category name, as currently the ports web page doesn't include one and
is sort of cryptic.  (We do have a x11/pkg/COMMENT file, for instance,
but it is not necessary that the categories have the same name as the
subdirectories in the ports tree, so we can't use that.)  Hmm.

Satoshi