Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 08:10:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        randy@zyzzyva.com (Randy Terbush)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Glimpse License Change

As Randy Terbush wrote:

> Are port maintainers aware of this?
>
> Pretty sleazy if you ask me. Charge the students tuition to
> develop it, then charge the public outrageous prices to use it.
> (Probably after getting big grants to develop it...)
>
> While clearly stating in the LICENSE that you cannot expect
> support and they take no responsibility for bugs.

Don't people like Sun Microsystems state the same?  At least, they
don't assume responsibility for the problems caused by bugs, and you
can't sue them for a bugfix either.

I don't think it's a _change_ in glimpse's license policy however.
All the time i know it, they always stated that commercial use
requires a license where you gotta pay something.  The US$ 500 figure
is new though, the previous statement i've heard was ``between US$ 1
and 1000''.

--
cheers, J"org