Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:28:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ray Cummins <rcummins@burlco.lib.nj.us>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        taliesin@inconnect.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why cant you do this???I

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Paul T. Root wrote:

> > FTP to ftp.cdrom.com, cd to /pub/FreeBSD, then
> >
> > get 2.1.6-RELEASE.tar.gz
> >
> > or whatever you want.  Their server automatically tars all files and gzips
> > the result.
>
> It would also be huge. Probably 600 meg or more.
>
> Why don't you install via ftp? What you need to download is the boot.flp
> image, create a boot disk and start the install.
>
> Paul.

Actually, it's around 63MB.  Doesn't include the 288MB of packages, 92MB
of XFree86, etc., on the CD.  If I had just one machine to install FreeBSD
on, I would certainly install via ftp to ftp.freebsd.org (or
ftp.cdrom.com, same thing).  Actually, if I wanted to wait a couple of
months to install, I would get the CD from Walnut Creek.  At any rate, it
is a joy to have the distribution locally for installs on multiple
machines.