Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 11:26:01 -0500
From:      "Adam W. Hawks" <root@pent.vnet.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I set 100MB mode on fxp0

> > (snip)
> >>
> >>    Do you have a 100Mbit switch? You can't do both modes without a switch.
> >
> >no. There is no jumpers or switches on the card.
>
>    :-) Uh, that's not what I meant. An ethernet switch is a special device
> that does packet-level switching and has significant performance advantages
> over a non-switching ethernet hub. It also allows for ethernet bridging,
> and as a side-effect, can simultaneously support both 10Mbit and 100Mbit
> ethernet.

I don't have a lot of experience with lan's but that does make sense now what
you said. And NO I don't have one of those.

> >> If you have the machine connected by a cross-over cable, be warned that th
> >> Pro/100B's auto speed detection doesn't deal with this correctly when the
> >> cards on both ends are Pro/100B's. It does seem to work when one card is
> >> a DEC chip based card, however.
> >
> >Both ends are Pro/100B's. Does that mean I will not be able to get it to
> >work in 100MB mode?
>
>    Are they connected by a cross-over cable or a hub? If they are connected b
> a cross-over cable, then the answer is no, you'll need to at least get a
> 100Mbit hub. I complained to Intel about this deficiency a long time ago and
> was told that "cross-over cables aren't supported".

Yes I'm using a cross-over cable. That explains why I havn't been getting
the speed I'm looking for. I just remember reading in the manual that the
cross-over cable between two cards was OK without a hub. But I just went
to the readme on the disk and it does say it should only be used for test
pourposes.

> >Also does the Berkley Packet filter's make it default to 10MB. The file
> >if_fxp.c makes it look like it does?
>
>    BPF has nothing to do with the interface speed. I think you're probably
> refering to the device class, which is DLT_EN10MB and serves double-duty
> for both 10 and 100Mbit ethernet. In any case, this is only used to identify
> the link-layer encapsulation type for BPF.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Thanks for all the help you've given me. It clears up quite a few questions
I had. I guess I will be looking for a 100MB hub now.

l8r
Adam W. Hawks
awhawks@ibm.net