Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:57:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: Interupt questions

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I am trying to configure my 2.2 BETA kernel to use my new Gravis Ultra
> 	Sound card. I know little or nothing about PC hardware, so please bear
> 	with me while I ask a few stupid questions.

Is this a regular GUS or a new GUS PnP?  If it's the PnP and you don't
have a PnP BIOS you'll need an upgraded sound driver.

> 	1. Can I find out what IRQ's are used on my runing system by looking
> 	somewhere? /proc for instance?

dmesg or UserConfig (-c) are good places.

> 	2. What is the conflicts key word used for in the kernel config file?

It's used for devices that use the same resource.  FreeBSD expects
everything to have it's own devices.  Conflicts is used in very specific
places; users have no need for this option.

> 	3. Reading through /var/log/messages it appears the the folowing
> 	interupts are used. 1,3,4,5,6,7,11,14,16. Doest this mean that I can ue
> 	any of the remaining numbers under 16 as I seefit? Or are certain ones
> 	reserved for things like the system clock?

Pretty much.  IRQs you can use on your system are 9, 10, and 12 for
starters.  Those should cover you.

> 	4. What would be a good IRQ to se for this card? The README suggest 11,
> 	but as you can see it's already used, and using it results in a kernel
> 	that will not boot :-(

10 is a good one.