Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:46:01 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fdisk headache

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> I think it is bad form to do this..
> >
> >Mmmaybe.
>
> >Of course, there's one thing that won't work with this method:
> >nextboot.

> Boot selectors won't work either.

Since there's nothing to select from. ;-)

Right now, there are three reasons to still call it ``dangerously
dedicated'':

. Since the MBR is identical to the BSD bootstrap, there's no room for
  things like `nextboot' after the MBR, and you can't replace the MBR
  by fancy things like a boot selector.  Hence, in a system that is
  not FreeBSD-only, you could at best make drives != #0 ``DD'', and
  you won't be able to boot select away from that drive once you
  switched there.  (Normally, booteasy allows to wander around back
  and forth through all the drives.)

. Some known rogues like Win95 will happily clobber the dummy fdisk
  table (and thus the BSD bootstrap) when they first visit the drive
  -- of course, without asking the operator, since they interpret the
  term ``Plug and play'' this way.

. Some operating systems might choke on that fdisk table afterwards,
  so if you are going to install something else on such a drive later,
  it's best do do a ``dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rXXX count=100'' before
  recycling the drive to another task.

(The fourth reason has been fixed since: disklabel -B used to clobber
sysinstall's fdisk table, and thus invalidated the sliced device names
sysinstall leaves in /etc/fstab.)

The plus side is:

. It's the simplest way to setup a drive at all, since you can use the
  total number of blocks of the drive for FreeBSD.  The drives are run
  in a mode that is basically the same as workstation and minicomputer
  Unices used to do for years.

. The number of BIOS geometry constraints to care for reduces drastic-
  ally, so you can usually (*) ignore any geometry issues.

  (*) I.e., the BIOS's geometry idea involves at least 15 sectors per
  track, 4 heads, and the root file system is not larger than 30 MB.

To summarize: this mode is intended for those who only want to run
FreeBSD, and nothing else.  I never advised people with mixed
configurations to use it.  Those who don't spend the slightest idea
into using their machine with other operating systems can however
simplify their life by using it.

--
cheers, J"org