Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:11:31 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/2740: root-fs full erases password table !

On Feb 02, 1997 at 08:54:23PM, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co wrote:
> >Originator:     Pedro Giffuni S.
> After I tried to change my password (as a non-privileged user) the
> system replied the file system was full and the table was not updated. I
> tried to su to root, and I wasn't recognized as a user. The password
> table was destroyed and no one can log-in.

FWIW, I saw something similar to this recently on a system
running -current too. When the filesystem filled up, and some
change was attempted on /etc/master.passwd, that file just
'disappeared'. Fortunately, the system remained usable because
the database version was not updated, and I noticed the
problem in the daily report and could restore from /var/backups.

I don't know (yet) what it was that erroneously blew
/etc/master.passwd away.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/