Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:28:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet options on 2.2-GAMMA

[ PCCARD hooks in sysintall ]

> > Hmmm.  If you were allowed to play supreme dictator in sysinstall for a day,
> > what would these hooks look like? ;)
>
> There would be a probe for the 'crd0' device having been found, and a
> prompt saying "please insert any PC-CARD devices to be used for the
> installation   [Continue]".

So far, so good.

> Sysinstall would then listen for card arrival events and play like
> pccardd until the user cancelled the dialog.  The results of
> insertions/removals should be shown in a scrolling window somewhere.
> It should then rescan for media devices.  This process should also be
> selectable from a menu somewhere.

So far so good.

> The relevant code in pccardd is actually fairly small, and the card
> database ought to compress well.

Actually, this is the hard part.  The code in pccardd is *NOT* small,
since it has to read all of the darn card TUPLES and such.  It's alot of
bloat for (IMHO) little gain.

> It should be possible to be smarter (ie. handle installation with
> nonstandard cards), but that would require "insert the floppy containing
> configuration data for the card XYZZY", which would be More Of A Nuisance.

No kidding.  This is my biggest failing in the current code, but I've
been spending more time trying to 'shore up the existing code' than in
spending time 'extending'.  Alot of this would go away if we could
simply re-write the userland code.  Hopefully the Nomads are doing
this. :)

Nate