Date:      25 Feb 1997 14:32:53 +0100
From:      Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Coda File system...

Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net> writes:
> For those who are interested, I came across a rather interesting project at
> CMU.  The Coda file system is a file system based on AFS, but extended to
> provide increased availability even when completely disconnected--suitable
> for mobil users as well.  I've not had a chance to look at the copyright, or
> source, but I think the terms would be ok. The page is at:
>   http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/coda/Web/coda.html

Yes, Coda is nice.

> If the code is fairly mature, perhaps its worth a look.  If not, I think its
> essentially AFS, plus more.  Possibly we could reverse engineer it and end
> up with a standard AFS.  Either way, I would love to see a real remote
> filesysem for FreeBSD. :)  Although I've looked, I've never been able to find
> the original AFS source from before it went commercial. :(  If anyone has this,
> I'd love to get a copy...

Keep in mind that Coda branched of during AFS2 and thus have very
little in common with AFS3 from Transarc, so you'll not be able to
make an AFS out of Coda.  And I don't think there is any AFS2 code
available, because it was funded by IBM and they kept all the rights.
And then, I think it would take lots of work to make something stable
and usable out of it (it took Transarc some time, as well).

/assar