Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 22:25:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), mpp@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail.local modifications?

> Are you telling me because I used spaces instead of tabs that its rejected?
> Thats friggin ridiculous!  I thought we were bitching about CONTENT not trivi
a!

I think you may have missed the point.  I can't speak for everyone
else, but if someone sends me a patch which doesn't apply, and I've
got 5001 other things to do (that being a constant), I simply won't
bother with it.  This isn't snobbery, this is a simple matter of
saying "huh, oh well!  I don't have time to grub through diff output,
and a patch reject implies problems on the submitter's end in 99.9% of
the cases (invalidating the patch) so I guess I'll come back to this
later and go on to the next item in my list (a new stack frame is
pushed, never to return :)."

The moral of the story?  Provide proper diffs, don't just go
cut-n-paste happy.  Overwork is the order of the day here, and if you
make it harder on the committer then he's likely to simply move on to
the next task and drop yours on the floor.  Given the backlog of tasks
we have, I also wouldn't have it any other way.

					Jordan