Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 15:43:51 -0500
From:      "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
To:        jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at, wong@rogerswave.ca, alan@cymru.net, imb@scgt.oz.au, dg@root.com, netdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ok, final sockhash changes, new diff

   From: Jakub Jelinek <jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
   Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 21:45:07 +0100 (MET)

   On the other side you can put there three four different routines
   for different hash table sizes and thus avoid that dead cycle. Or
   we can use code patching (as we already do on the sparc for other
   stuff).

I'm seriously considering making the lookup routines for TCP be
per-architecture so you do it all in assembly for maximum performance.
The lookup code is so hot in the profiling logs that only the
csum_partial_copy() and memcpy() code dwarf it.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><