Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 1997 15:44:32 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3120: ghostscript-4.03 package broken ?

> >  I've now proven beyond a shadow of a doubt (since something like
> >  this also happened to me last time) that rsync is a piece of shit
> >  and doesn't work; I will no longer be using or recommending rsync
> >  for anything.
>
> C'mon Jordan, be reasonable.  "Has a bug" != "is a piece of shit".

Erm.  Sorry John, but I have to stick with my original verdict. :-)

This is not my only problem with it or I might indeed have been
inclined towards greater charitability.  It just flat-out fails to
function in enough obvious ways (and I expect a good syncronization
protocol to recover from data corruption on the destination end, just
as your good cvsup program does) and it's got some truely pathological
attributes like:

	rsync --archive user@foo:/b/stuff/src /c/archive/src
	[ oh drat, now that's gone into /c/archive/src/src - try again]
	rsync --archive user@foo:/b/stuff/src /c/archive
	[ ah, that's done the trick.  Now let's just add --delete so that
	  /c/archive/src doesn't accumulate old bits as time goes on ]
	rsync --delete --archive user@foo:/b/stuff/src /c/archive
	[ Why is my disk chattering so much?  Hey, what's going on.
	  HEY, STOP!  STOP DELETING EVERYTHING IN /c/archive YOU STUPID
	  PROGRAM!! ]

:-)

> Also, "has a bug" != "will always have the bug", especially if you
> save the test case and send it to the authors along with a bug
> report. :-)

Bug 1:
	Your target directory handling is bogus.
Bug 2:
	Your change-detection algorithm doesn't appear
	to work at all.

I dunno - that seems fairly tantamout to saying "your software just
plain doesn't work" when the item in question is rsync. :-)

					Jordan