Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 10:49:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mark thompson <thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com>
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail in 2.2

In message <19970406141422.2872.qmail@squirrel.tgsoft.com> mark thompson writes:
: an optional MTA for freebsd (if it can't be the default). Admittedly,
: you have to do things 'differently' with qmail, but arguably, the
: 'different' way is the way it should always have been.

And there is also a port of exim, which does things better than
sendmail that I run locally.  Works great.  The only problem that I
have is to remember to disbale sendmail after a make world.  That's
the biggest impediment right now to these things: they all seem to
want to install a /sur/sbin/sendmail emulator so that all the programs
on the system will go through their queueing mechanism rather than
sendmails (and so you can do a chmod 0 sendmail to make it safe too
:-).

A long time ago people said they were doing work to make qmail *A* MTA
for freebsd.  what ever happened to that.  I think that it would be a
fine thing to allow people to easily change MTAs so that we can get an
isntalled base of alternative mailers so we know the problems that
using them has on a large scale.  Just like the 2.2.x release we
thought we had something stable and when it hit the field lots of nits
cropped up, so too I fear that if we make any chagnes to the base
system before at least some testing similar things might pop up.

Warner