Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:45:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        adrian@virginia.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC 21140-Ax problems resolved?

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > [ N.B. This ia an augmneted repost that drew ]
> > [ little response from freebsd-questions.    ]
> >
> > 	I searched the mail archives and find no mention of the problem
> > with this chipset after mid-March.  Has the problem with the de0 driver
> > been resolved?
> >
> > 	I get the same problems I found in many of the posts.  The link
> > light is on for out 10Base-T hub, then it goes off after the kernel probes
> > and switches the device into 100Base-T mode.
> >
> > 	I have tried using the NetBSD driver as well as the -currrent
> > one.  In both cases the kernel won't compile.  In the -current case, I
> > think I may have missed a crucial file.  The NetBSD may just be to far
> > out of synch.
>
> >From what I recollect, this isn't a driver problem, it's a link
> flag problem.  Use 'man ifconfig' and modify your /etc/sysconfig
> appropriately to get the other link.

	I tried -link{0,1,2} and none of them made a difference.

> If that fails, the NetBSD driver was recently announced as ported
> on the -current list (which is probably a better place to look,
> especially if the 'x' in your '-Ax' is recent, since your card
> may have overflow problems which need to be worked around in software).

	Specifically the chip is a 21140-AC.  That's not too new.  Which
files do I need to get in addition to if_de.c?  I tried this route, but I
must have mised something, because it wouldn't compile.

thanks,

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!