Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 09:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        morty <morty@mortykai.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd as internet gateway

Check out the following URL:

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html

It's called PPP - Pedantic PPP Primer.

I followed these instructions to setup a gateway for 1 Lose95 client to
access the internet from my FBSD box.  The Lose95 connects to the FBSD box
via a thinnet either-net connection and then uses a modem with ppp -auto
-alias to connect to the net.  The FBSD box only has to be turned on (ie,
after all the setup, which isn't much, is done just leave the FBSD box
running.  Whenever a request for the net comes from the client FBSD will
initiate a connection, login and establish the ppp connection).

Hope this helps.

Burton Sampley

On Mon, 19 May 1997, morty wrote:

> ok, since nobody could help me with my connectivity problems, ive decided to try to make freebsd my internet
> gateway. i already have internet ip space allocated from my isp. im new to freebsd and installed it for the 1st
> time the other day. currently i have an os/2 machine operating as my gateway but the freebsd machine cant
> connect to the outside world even though it can ping the outside world. other local hosts have no problem. so
> if anyone can help with the following id appreciate it:
>
> ppp connects to my isp but i am unable to reach any external hosts (im still working on this)
>
> is it possible to have it redial after a disconnect or busy, etc?
>
> is packet forwarding sufficient?
>
> is ip masquerading possible with freebsd?
>
> what conciderations should i make if i run bind, pop3d, apache (low traffic) and ircd (low traffic) on this
> machine?
>
> - pent 100
> - 512k cache
> - 24M ram
> - havent decided on hd space yet, could go up to 1.5g if i need to.
> - 3com 3c59x
>
> thanks
>
> -morty-
>
> heard any good ones lately?
> send them to mailto:jokes@mortykai.com

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)