Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:34:43 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        jdp@freebsd.org, phk@dk.tfs.com, cvs-all@freebsd.org, CVS-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386 src/sys/i386/i386 setdef0.c setdef1.c setdefs.h identcpu.c locore.s machdep.c swtch.s src/sys/i386/isa npx.c src/sys/sys cdefs.h kernel.h src/sys/gnu/i386/fpemul div_small.s fpu_asm.h poly_div.s poly_mul64.s polynomial.s reg_div.s reg_norm.s reg_round.s reg_u_add.s reg_u_div.s reg_u_mul.s reg_u_sub.s wm_shrx.s wm_sqrt.s src/sys/i386/include asnames.h asmacros.h

In message <199704220824.SAA10335@godzilla.zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans writes:
>>>  The impact on developers is virtually nil, except for two things.
>>>  All linker sets that might possibly be present in the kernel must be
>>>  listed in "sys/i386/i386/setdefs.h".
>>
>>Urg.  This complicates the sysctl a fair bit.  Can't we find some way
>>to build this list automagically ?
>
>Oops, I forgot that the SYSCTL macros hid the use of linker sets when John
>asked me about this.  Perhaps you should implement sysctl again :-).
>Something needs to be done anyway to support it in LKMs and fix it
>in vfs's.  One idea: attach everything to one linker set and encode the
>tree structure in the oid struct.  I think this doesn't lose anything
>except possibly space.

I'd rather dig into my archives and find my notes and prototype "registry"
thing and get that moving then.  sysctl is way to limited for my taste
anyway.

shit, not exactly what I wanted to play with now...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.