Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:48:33 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (freebsd-hackers)
Subject:   Re: manpages

As Robert Withrow wrote:

> :- So it can write catpages into /usr/share/man/cat*
>
> Why, in this day and age, does it need to do that?

Because not everyone is running it on an Alpha/600 MHz.  Some large
pages even take a noticable time to reformat on a > 100 MHz Pentium,
and everything takes nearly infinite time on slow machines like my
386/sx16 notebook that often serves me as the low end marker.

Remember, -mandoc format is much more complex than -man, it always
required a lot of processing time.

If you don't like this feature, simply remove the cat directories.

--
cheers, J"org