Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:41:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unloading LKMs (was Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...)

> Hmmm, IP Filter unloads and reloads easily enough.
>
> However, give some thought to a process which is in a kernel sleep state,
> inside the LKM and theLKM is removed, leaving the process still sleeping
> on a now invalid address.

There is a place in the instance structure for entrancy counting for
delayed unload.  The system call sample I originally sent with the
LKM code demonstrated its use.

The problem with devices is that they don't get open/close notification,
which was something PHK wanted for quite some time, so entrancy counting
isn't really something youy can do anything about.

As far as generalization of the network protocols, and so on, there is
still not a registration/deregistration mechanism supported "down there"
(this is something I wanted when the "stale" networking code was ripped
bodily from the bosom of the kernel...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.