Date:      02 May 1997 19:36:32 +0100
From:      Andrew Gierth <andrew@erlenstar.demon.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>, chuckr@mat.net, FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

 >> I looks like they are searching WWW pages for addresses because I got
 >> one at my FreeBSD.org address...

 Terry> They are also searching list archives (apparently).  I got
 Terry> some mail to an old address from which I had posted to the
 Terry> list, but which I had never used for any other purposes.

Stuff on this list is percolating back onto Usenet; I have a permanent
query going at reference.com for everything with my name in the From:
header, and some of my posts here have shown up. It looks like sites
that have gatewayed the list onto an internal or local hierarchy, and
then allowed it to leak from there.

I can track down more information if necessary.

--
Andrew.