Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 23:24:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        davem@caip.rutgers.edu (David S. Miller)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: GNAT-pthreads integration bugs/questions

> kernel address space for anything is bad news on SMP, I don't care
> what kind of optimizations you put into the SMP tlb flushing code in a
> kernel that does VM based VFS operations (and yes I am intimately
> familiar with all the gross hacks SVR4 etc. put into their code to try
> and fight this problem, it just doesn't work), it will never perform
> adequately.

That's the reason that we don't do it.  I don't like the approach that SVR4
used (it is even slow in the UP case.)  There are individuals that still
think that we fault pages into the kernel for file I/O or some other wierd
unnecessarily complicated thing (even though it does work nicely.)  I have
taken heat from time to time for not faulting pages into the kernel for
file I/O.

Much of the complication in the FreeBSD code is to support sub-pagesize
filesystem block sizes and maintain full file I/O and mmap coherency.

John