Date:      Mon, 02 Jun 1997 09:19:54 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

>  > Where !~= translates into ``not necessarily equal''.  You can track of
>  > the different accounts even if they have the same UID.  As i wrote
>  > earlier, the only thing that is recording by UID is the process
>
>  And the basic access control mechanisms inherent in UN*X.  You
>  can, for example, create another copy of uucico that doesn't
>  suid(uucp) but, rather, runs under the access controls of the
>  invoking user to allow the kernel to enforce the access control
>  privileges on a per user (i.e. per *uid*) basis.

I hope we're not the only ones who see the security risk in not
tying specific remote uucp system names to local accounts where
there is non-trusted shell access on the same system. :-)

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/