Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 19:14:44 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        root@bmccane.uit.net (Wm Brian McCane)
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kc 1.1

Wm Brian McCane stands accused of saying:

> I am pleased to announce that a newer version of my kernel
> configuration tool 'kc' is available for testing.  To get a copy of
> it:

Hmm, not bad.  If I may raise a few gripes though :

 - Just running it, there's no indication of what to do.  You could get
   around this with a "status bar" with a few quick details on it.
 - There's no separation between the various base-level config
   directives.  It'd be good to have the options separate from the
   controllers, separated from the pseudo-devices, etc.
 - You could use more vertical space to avoid cutting off the names of
   long options. (eg. keep option descriptions indented on the next line)
 - Rather than having everything based on your options.list file, read
   LINT and just keep a private database of descriptions and criteria
   for the things you know about.  (This is a WIBNI, not something that
   I think is easily achieved.)

I think ultimately though, the biggest difficulty I have with 'kc' is
that it doesn't actually remove itself much from the configuration
file; for all the added convenience, essentially you are still
manipulating the same information in the same format.

I think it is this that has to change.