Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 06:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What string to filter FreeBSD lists?

dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> > Could anyone share with me what strings they use to filter their
> > FreeBSD lists.
> > I have tried a few things, but every now an then messages go
> > unfiltered..
>
> As the other posting noted, they tend to flip-flop on the sender addresses.
> I filter with slocal and have decided to leave identical filters in place
> for owner-chat and owner-freebsd-chat, and similar for all the other

	if these tools (slocal, procmail, etc..) can handle regular
	expressions, you can cover all cases by sorting on
	owner-*<listname>.
	if you would rather restrict this more tightly, use
	owner-chat|owner-freebsd-chat

	as to why they flip, i dont know ;(
	i need to look into this more carefully, as time allows.

	in the meantime, please, dont be overly restrictive in your filters.
	the only two possilbilities are owner-freebsd-<listname> and
	owner-<listname>

	sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.
jmb