Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:00:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rcollins@datastar.net (Richard Collins)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't know how to configure ppp for my ISP

Richard Collins writes:
> Hi,
> I have called my ISP about this and the only thing they can tell me is that
> they removed the login prompts.

They sound like real professionals.

> All this is because no one there can setup a script file so that
> Windows 95 and Windows NT will login without having the user type in
> there username and there password.  Do I need to use PAP and/or Chap?

This is really a question your ISP should answer.  I suspect the
answer is 'yes'.

> If so can someone show me an example that would use no prompts.

Here's the example from /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample:

# If the peer requires to use CHAP, don't forget to supply authname
# and authkey.
#
# If you'd like to use CHAP to authenticate with the peer, comment out
# the line ``enable chap'' below. You also need to prepare /etc/ppp.secret.
#
# If the remote system sends its system name within the CHAP packet and it
# is found in /etc/ppp.secret, then the secret key is taken from that file
# and value of authkey specified here is ignored.
#
chapsite:
 set phone 12345678
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: ppp word: ppp"
 deny pap
 accept chap
# enable chap
 set authname MySystemName
 set authkey  OurSecretKey

If you're not using login prompts (the normal case), just remove the
'set login' line:

chapsite:
 set phone 12345678
 deny pap
 accept chap
# enable chap
 set authname MySystemName
 set authkey  OurSecretKey

You'll note that 'enable chap' has been commented out.  That's the
normal way: the ISP authenticates you, but you don't authenticate the
ISP.

Greg