Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:44:42 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.COM>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/security Makefile

> I don't understand why we have a socks4 port at all.  socks5 is upwards
> and backwards compatible with 4, and supports a lot more functionality.

Give me a working socks5 configuration file that works at HP and I'll be
*more* than glad to remove it.  HP uses a modified version of socks4, and
I don't know of any of the Linux weenies there that gotten socks5 to work
with the firewall.  (I'll be the first to admit, I don't know much about
socks).

> However, socks is much more general than just security, and as such, that's

Really?  I've only ever heard it come up in firewall/security situations.

--
-- David	(obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)