Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:55:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        julian@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2+ crash.. more info

>>    Quite likely. It's fairly easy to have a bug where a resource is exhausted
>> (usually memory) in a subroutine called from an interrupt routine, resulting
>> in a tsleep() if the call to malloc isn't M_NOWAIT.
>
>Is there any way we could talk you into adding an #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC
>to malloc to catch this case?

   To catch which case? malloc() doesn't know a whole lot about the state of
the system; it especially doesn't have knowledge about how interrupts work
and whether or not it is okay sleep. I don't know if we have a way of
knowing this even if we did want to add such machine-dependant checks to
malloc(). In any case, the checks would be best added to tsleep(), not to
malloc().

-DG

David Greenman