Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 03:44:57 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        jmattson@wco.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS-DOS file system issues

Jim Mattson wrote:

> I see that fixing the MS-DOS file system is a high priority task, but
> just exactly how broken is it?  I mount most of my logical DOS drives
> ro out of paranoia, but I've got one small throw-away partition
> mounted rw for pushing things over to the Win95 world.  I keep waiting
> for it to eat my data, and it hasn't happened yet.
>
> I would like to see Win95 long filename support, and I'd be willing
> to work on that, but are there more fundamental flaws that I'm
> missing?

As of the 2.x releases, mounting MS-DOS partitions should not cause
wholescale corruption, and the present msdosfs works reasonably
well for simple operations.  It is fairly old and generally buggy,
though.

I have a new DOS filesystem, with Win95 support, running here,
though some of the code is still alpha-quality, and I have literally
not looked at it for several months, due to pressure of work.  Once
I can find a week or two, I want to look at cleaning this up for
release.

However (that said) I think it would be a good thing if anyone keen
on working on adding Win95 to the msdosfs went ahead.  The new DOS
FS has been a very long time coming, and I'm sure many peope would
appreciate the LFN support.

--
Robert Nordier