Date:      Mon,  1 Sep 1997 19:23:24 +1000 (WET)
From:      Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org, Andrew Cagney <cagney@cygnus.com>
Subject:   Re: bin/4403: vasprintf (3) corrupts memory

Excerpts from mail: 29-Aug-97 Re: bin/4403: vasprintf (3)..
j@uriah.heep.sax.de (1046*)

> As Andrew Cagney wrote:

> > FYI,  I'm not interested in current, just `stable'.  Unfortunatly, it
> > sounds like stable isn't as stable as one would like :-(.

> > I'll think about adding a hack to libiberty, forcing it to use the FSF
> > version of vasprintf on any freebsd-2.[12].* machine.

> Before you start doing silly things, better read the commit logs.
> Peter has merged the fix simultaneously to -stable.  (Or is *this*
> what makes it too less `stable' for you, too many bugfixes merged? :-)

Silly? puzzled expression :-)  If a user builds a current GDB snapshot
on a pure FreeBSD 2.1.7 or 2.2.2 system, it will probably dump core.
Consequently, gdb needs to provide a workaround to the vasprintf bug.

Any way, 2.1.[67] can't be too unstable if I've only turned up one bug
in ~6 months :-)

	enjoy,
		Andrew