Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 05:34:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, nate@mt.sri.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386

> >Ugh.  What I meant to say was that the number of entries outstanding
> >at one time relative to the number of insertions and deletions that
> >take place is small in proportion to the number of hash buckets.  This
> >would make it relatively rare that a softclock would ever hit an entry.
> >It was this rarity I meant to reference, but my fingers were too fast.
>
> I don't know how rare it is really.  You'd have to do some statistics
> relating which bucket softclock is currently looking at and the likelihood
> of a new timeout being scheduled "close" to that position.  I do know that
> it is going to be quite rare to have a callout touched more than once
> during it's lifetime.  256 ticks is a long time.  1024 ticks is even
> longer.

Except if I want to up the rate at which softclock fires, which would make
the wheel spin faster and the entries live for more softclock ticks, but
no more absolute time.  8-(.

I suppose you could up the hash size for this, but I like the idea of a
sorted and unsorted queue head per bucket better.  It solved both problems
at the same time, and still lets me up softclock at some later time to get
HRT without a massive penalty.

All in all, I'd say that this has been a very productive discussion; it
would have been a hell of a lot more productive if everyone was in the
same room with a whiteboard (8-)), but it's a hell of a lot better than
the "inane let's pick a new name for tetris" discussion that resulted
from my unfortunate use of an example name in my suggested Makefile fix.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---