Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:59:09 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW performance with two drives

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Alec Kloss wrote:

> Howdy.  I have an Adaptec 3940UW controller in a machine.  The 3940UW
> has two SCSI busses on it.  Originally, I had two Quantum XP34550W
> drives on bus A and a Jaz drive and a CDROM drive on bus B.  I got
> sick of the Jaz drive and CDROM (I never used them anyway) so I
> removed them.  Is there any reason to (or not to) move one of the
> Quantum's onto bus B?  I suspect it is important to observe that I do
> not copy data between the two drives very often.

No. There is actually a gain in performance by splitting your I/O between
the busses. If the transfers are between devices on different busses the
read and write operations do not contend for bandwidth on the SCSI bus.
However, I doubt it that your two disks saturate even a single bus under
normal operation, so you'll probably see only small changes in
performance anyhow.

Nadav