Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 1997 13:30:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface configuration : call for ideas.

> Ah, some input!  I thought you were busy?  If this is the quality of
> feedback I get from busy people, we must be alone here... 8(

I am busy, but I hated to see this get the usual silent treatment. :-)

> This isn't actually very helpful; it just means @ = "lan", and that's
> only going to confuse people.  I was originally going to say "ether"

Actually, I meant "@ = wildcard" - this would be a general convention
and wouldn't just expand to "lan" in all cases, it would expand to
fit whatever was necessary to allow the fall-through case to work,
be it for an ethernet card or something else (how about specific
vs generic route entries, for example?).

But I still like option #2 better, so it's also probably not worth
debating overmuch. :)

> Because the actual set of event-response sequences are very small, with
> just a few opt-in/opt out items?

Creeping featurism will expand this set of event-response sequences,
I'm sure. :-)

Also, if you think about it, the system's initial boot is also sort of
an "event" of sorts - I'm sure you could generalize this to the point
of absurdity, and it might not even be that bad of an idea.

> OK here.  I'm not sure how others will buy it.  Perhaps a POC
> implementation is called for?  How do people feel about a potentially
> new directory in /etc for files associated with this sort of thing?

POC?

> Is there any way in sh of determining the existence of a function?

I thought you'd just expand the target variable and check it
for NULL-ness ("").  If it expands, you pass it to eval.  If it
doesn't, you move on.

					Jordan