Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 23:26:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building parallel "Beowulf-style" supercomputers with FreeBSD

In reply:
> 	Legions of Sprights, the which, like litle flyes

Sprite/Sprights/etc...  indicates something small...  this is big...

> Which covers a cluster virtual machine ("true-seeming lyes": it's not
> a real single machine), and both message passing and multitasking.

fitting, but because of above bad...

> Hmmm... "Alchemy" has about the right ring to it, too.  Plenty of
> cool names out there... ;-).

Alchemy has negative implications.  Failed attempts to make lead into
gold.  Visions of quacks, witch-doctors, and fortune tellers ["The
Future Fair!  A fair for all, and no fair to anybody!"].

I was being serious about HyperPool...  Serious literature will love
the name, and it sounds KEWL to the neophyte.  The name matches the
concept, and would also get serious literature talking about it.

It is also in true Berkeley tradition.  Leave the pet names for
Linux, but BSD should demand RESPECT!

For true supercomputing performance, use a FreeBSD HyperPool.

This name ROX!@#

"Follow the yellow rubber line to the WALL OF SCIENCE!"

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or