Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:03:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@kinclaith.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble installing FreeBSD over PPP

> > I'm having a hard time installing the 10-21 FreeBSD SNAP over ppp.  It
> > seems to connect to the ftp.freebsd.org fine, but I'm getting
> > throughput of less than 100 bytes per second (yes, bytes).  My modem
> > is connected to my gateway at 28.8k.
>
> I'm not sure what the 10-21 snap is, but if it's from between October
> 6 & 12, it's been fixed now.

I meant 10-12.

> You should be able to dodge the problem (if you can't get a later
> snap) with "disable vjcomp" and "deny vjcomp" before dialing.

After trying your suggestion, the install works!!  I'm very grateful.  I
almost lost my mind trying to get FreeBSD installed.

The only strange issue is that I was having problems with the 10-12
install floppy, which you claim has been fixed.  Someone should look
into this, as it would suck for others to go through what I did.

> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>

Thanks again,
David