Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:42:17 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some observations with xmaple (Maple V4 R5, Linux version)

On Wed, Oct 15, 1997 at 06:33:08PM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Obviously.  What sort of remote display are you trying to use?
> >
> > xdpyinfo:
> >
> > vendor string:    X Inside Inc.
>
> Which AccelX version?

Xaccel 1.3 (build 1302)

> > default screen number:    0
> > screen #0:
> >   depth of root window:    24 planes
>
> Ok, so this isn't the Linux-Motif-16bpp problem.  Drat.  Do you get any
> errors out of it at all?  Is the binary linked shared or static?  Which
> Linux release is it linked for?  Does it use Motif at all?

I assume for a linux 2.x. I would have to ask the Maple people.
The README says linux 2.0.0 or higher with ELF support.

xmaple is a bourne shell script that invokes:

exec maple -x $*
maple  in turn is also a borne script that invokes finally:

        exec ${MAPLE}/$MAPLE_SYS_BIN/xmaplev4 $IPARAM $PARAM

file xmaplev4:
xmaplev4:     ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1

brandelf ./xmaplev4
No such file ./xmaplev4.
???

Yes, it uses Motif. Running the binary  locally (though
not on the 24 bit depth display) works fine.