Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:14:58 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some observations with xmaple (Maple V4 R5, Linux version)

> the problem here seems to be different:
>
> It occurs only when running xmaple with DISPLAY set to
> <hostname_to_resolve>:0
>
> Setting it to
>
> xxx.www.yyy.zzz:0
>
> explicitly works.
>
> Using libc.so.5.3.12 instead of libc.so.5.4.23 seems to
> cure the problem as well. The question remains why
> libc.so.5.4.23 (linux) doesn't work with the FreeBSD
> emulation.

It sounds like an interaction between xmaple and the resolver; there
have also been some resolver problems reported with StarOffice that I
haven't been able to reproduce (maybe because I have a local
nameserver?).

Can you look for and try a later Linux libc?  They are often found on
Sunsite or similar heavy-duty Linux FTP servers, or you can try a
search for "libc.5.4.38" and see what you turn up.

Thanks,
mike