Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:31:21 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where can i get 2.2.5-BETA (mirror problems) ?

>On Sat, Oct 18, 1997 at 08:50:58AM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>> Try one of the following locations:
>>
>>the list is only partly useful -- many of these sites do not carry all
>>distributions, and many others seem to have major problems in mirroring
>>since they have only an empty directory tree.
>
>I haven't been having much success keeping ftp.au.freebsd.org up to date
>recently.  The transfers from ftp.freebsd.org are *very* slow, and
>keep timing out.  It seems to running close to its 2000 user limit, and
>maybe that's why?

   The problem is at the PacBell NAP. Sprint and MCI have about 3 times more
traffic going through their connections there than they can handle. Rumor is
that Sprint will be upgrading their connection to OC3 soon, but what MCI is
going to do is unknown (probably nothing). Meanwhile, things are pathetically
slow if you are coming in through MCI or Sprint. There is nothing I can do
about it on this end...I suggest that people complain to their service
providers.

-DG

David Greenman