Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 1997 15:47:45 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Libretto 50 - US Version and PAO

> In message <199711050303.NAA00657@word.smith.net.au> Mike Smith writes:
> : At this point in time, it certainly seems to be the best chipset to
> : look for in a portable from the free-software point of view.
>
> How do you get it to use the monitor and/or switch back and forth?

Keyboard hotkeys.  At least on the Toshiba and Sharp systems I have
access to these hit the SMI interrupt, which is handled by the BIOS.

What's important to remember is that the SMI BIOS code reprograms the
chip when you swap from one mode (LCD, both, external) to the next, so
you want to have two modes in your XF86Config file, procedure then (for
me) goes:

 - Start X on LCD
 - hotkey to external-only mode
 - alt-ctrl-+ to swap to sync-on-green mode tuned for external monitor

then coming back

 - hotkey to LCD
 - alt-ctrl-+ to swap back to mode tuned for LCD

It's possible to get things pretty confused, but generally if you screw
up you can recover by restarting X (alt-ctrl-bksp).  Swapping to a
text-mode console obviously doesn't work for a sync-on-green monitor 8).

Given that I've been doing this on a Toshiba 220CDS, I'd say your
chances of having it work on the Libretto are pretty good.

mike