Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 08:18:48 -0800
From:      Ron Rosson <insane@oneinsane.net>
To:        John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I use CVSup to go from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5?

That is not entirely true....

My Box started out as 2.2.2-RELEASE I then CVSUP'd during the last week
in July. This brought me to 2.2-STABLE. I then CVSUP'd on November 2 and
my box is now 2.2.5-STABLE..

Looks like some of the changes made it in that were in discussion

(Just my 2 cents worth)

Ron

At 08:26 AM 11/6/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thursday November  6, 1997, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
> had this to say about "Can I use CVSup to go from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5?":
>
>> I am new to using CVSup so forgive me if the questions are FAQ.
>>
>> By looking at the documentation it seems I could go from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5
>> with CVSup.
>
>True...but be sure to back up EVERYTHING first (and do the upgrade on a
>spare machine first if you've never done a CVSup/make world before).
>
>> So far what I think I need: tag=RELENG_2_2
>
>That tag will get you 2.2-STABLE, which has progressed beyond
>2.2.5-RELEASE.  If you want the latter, the tag should be
>RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE
>
>A sample CVSupfile to use to get 2.2-STABLE is at:
>
>ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/examples
>/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
>(the above should be on one line of course)
>
>If you don't already have cvsup-15.2, get the binaries from
>hub.freebsd.org:/pub/CVSup or the package/port.  I recommend the
>static-linked binary from hub.freebsd.org if you don't use/want modula-3
>libraries laying around on your system.
>
>> I am still not clear which file collection I need. src-sys only?
>
>You will want src-all if you're doing a full upgrade.  You may also want
>to uncomment the "secure" sources at the bottom of the file if you live in
>the U.S./Canada and need/want that code (Kerberos, DES, etc.)
>

>> Going from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5 are there any file changes like there was
>> with sysconf becoming rc.conf?
>
>You will want to do a "make buildworld" first (once you CVSup the
>new/changed sources, that is). This will compile everything into /usr/obj
>From there you can do  "make installworld" and "make reinstall" if you NFS
>mount /usr/src and /usr/obj to other FreeBSD machines in your network.
>BE SURE TO READ /usr/src/Makefile to see what it does, and also
>BACKUP/COMPARE all the rc* files in your /etc directory with the new ones
>in /usr/src/etc (mostly minor changes imho, but the order of loading some
>network services was changed).  As a matter of fact, you should definately
>keep /usr/src/etc/* (and /usr/src/sys/*) around if you decide to purge the
>sources once you've upgraded.  Everyone once in a while I stumble across
>the need to replace/change/add a file from /usr/src/etc
>(/usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.x11.dist is the latest example)
>
>--
>John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
>System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net
>  & Network Engineer            1031 S. Parker Rd. #I-8 Denver, CO 80231
>As of this^H^H^H^H next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.

Ron Rosson              ... and a UNIX user said ...
rlr@n2.net                        rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      and all was null and void